Health care in Sweden for foreign citizens

If you are a foreign citizen, and fall ill during a temporary visit to Sweden, you are always entitled to receive emergency and necessary health care. You can also be reimbursed for health care that you seek in advance, so-called planned health care. 

The cost of your health care depends on what country you are from. In some cases, you can receive health care at the same cost as those insured in Sweden.

Healthcare in Sweden for asylum-seekers and people with no papers 

If you are seeking asylum or have no papers, you have the right to emergency health and dental care in Sweden. Children under the age of 18, even those in hiding, are usually entitled to treatment free of charge.

The right to an interpreter

You have a right to receive understandable information about your state of health and about the process of the examination, health care or treatment that you need.

If it is difficult for you to understand and speak Swedish, you can receive help from an interpreter. There is no cost for this, but the surgery you are visiting may need to know about it in advance, so that they can book an interpreter.

Thank you for contacting us, we've received your feedback

Upon submission, we will process your personal information for the purpose outlined in the form. Information submitted may be considered a public document.
Read more about how Region Skåne processes personal information