|Address: Sankt Lars Primary Health Care Centre, Sankt Lars väg 6, 22185 Lund, Sweden|
Telephone: +46 733 221084
Present positions: Family Physician at S:t Lars Primary Health Care Center, Lund; Associate Professor of Family Medicine at the Center for Primary Health Care Research, Lund University
Associate Professor of Family Medicine, 2003, Faculty of Medicine, Lund University
- Senior Lecturer in Family Medicine, 1995, Faculty of Medicine, Lund University
- Ph.D. in Family Medicine, 1994, Lund University. Dissertation title: Apparent absence of cerebrocardiovascular disease in Melanesians. Risk factors and nutritional considerations – the Kitava Study
- Specialist in Family Medicine, 1990
- M.D., 1981, Lund University
Current Research Interests
Dietary prevention and treatment of abdominal obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease
Evolutionary aspects of human nutrition
My early research focused on non-Western populations, while my more recent studies have tested the effects of ancestral-like diets in humans and animals.
I am head of the research group ‘Health effects of a paleolithic diet’ (whose members include Tommy Jönsson, Pedro Carrera-Bastos, Maelan Fontes).
- Jönsson T, Granfeldt Y, Ahrén B, Branell UC, Pålsson G, Hansson A, Söderström M, Lindeberg S. Beneficial effects of a Paleolithic diet on cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: a randomized cross-over pilot study. Cardiovasc Diabetol 2009;8:35.
- Lindeberg S, Jonsson T, Granfeldt Y, Borgstrand E, Soffman J, Sjöström K, Ahrén B. A Palaeolithic diet improves glucose tolerance more than a Mediterranean-like diet in individuals with ischaemic heart disease. Diabetologia 2007;50:1795-807.
Jönsson T, Ahrén B, Pacini G, Sundler F, Wierup N, Steen S, Sjöberg T, Ugander M, Frostegård J, Göransson L, Lindeberg S. A Paleolithic diet confers higher insulin sensitivity, lower C-reactive protein and lower blood pressure than a cereal-based diet in domestic pigs. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2006;3:39.
Cordain L, Eaton SB, Sebastian A, Mann N, Lindeberg S, Watkins BA, O'Keefe JH, Brand-Miller J. Origins and evolution of the Western diet: health implications for the 21st century. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;81:341-54.
Lindeberg S, Nilsson-Ehle P, Terént A, Vessby B, Scherstén B. Cardiovascular risk factors in a Melanesian population apparently free from stroke and ischaemic heart disease - the Kitava study. J Intern Med 1994;236:331-340.